Sunday, August 06, 2006

Alcohol and Truth....?

I read an article here at WebMD that raised the question of whether or not people are truthful under the influence of alcohol, inspired by Mel Gibson's recent bout of anti-Semitic comments made while drunk. Some of the points were a bit disturbing, considering some of the things that have been said to me by people who were drunk, or by my own words and behaviors while drunk. It is easy to push some things back in your mind when you think people don't really feel the way they claim to when they are drunk, but a bit more difficult when you consider that those may be their true feelings. Either way, it is an interesting article, and will make me think twice about overimbibing.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I think if he were even anti-Semitic alone, he would be...both anti-Semitic and an idiot. But regarding the article, it seems that some experts believe alcohol to be a truth-serum of sorts: you act on and say things about feelings you really do have. On the other hand, the article also indicates that for those who are alcoholics, alcohol does not act as a truth-serum, for some reason, but instead turns mild-mannered Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. So...I dunno. Either way, I know that I am not an alcoholic, and I was mostly reflecting on what that information would mean for social situations I have been in, and those in which I will be in the future.