Friday, May 29, 2015

My Date With Myself

It seems like my posts on this blog have been few and far between, and a little sad, in terms of subject matter.  Thus, I shall write about something entirely frivolous and trivial.  Today is Friday, and most of my Fridays during the summer are glorious, because they are days when I get off work early.  We have this wondrous thing called summer flex scheduling, and it allows us to take half the day off on Fridays without much sacrifice.

Unlike most Fridays of this sort, this time, I really was at loose ends.  Michael is at a conference, so our usual standing date on such days could not take place.  So....I took myself on a date. 

The date began with completion of a favor for Michael: an Amiibo quest. I began the search at Best Buy, then continued to Target, and finally made my way over to Walmart, where it was partially fulfilled:


I headed over to Toys R Us to see if they had the other Amiibo that Michael requested, and was pleasantly surprised when the guy working in the video game section immediately noticed that I was lurking in the Amiibo section and asked me, "Are you looking for the new stuff?" I indicated that I was on a mission from my husband to find the Ness Amiibo (I made sure to mention my husband: I didn't want the guy to be so overcome by my striking good looks in my baggy ECU t-shirt and my new Vans that he asked me for a date, making it awkward for all involved).  He said that he hadn't got any in, but to check back because he thought the shipment had been split.  It had all the charm of our interactions with our comic book guy back in Tallahassee--that guy always watched out for what types of things we bought and recommended new stuff when it came in.  So much better than the very generic, "Can I help you find something?" 

  By this time, I was hungry, so I took myself to Which Wich?, which I'd been meaning to try for a while.
  I liked it pretty well--the ordering system makes it easy to get exactly what you want, and I liked the texture of the bread.

With my belly full (overfull, actually), I decided it was time to go shopping.  One thing of note: it is never a good idea to go swimsuit shopping after eating lunch. Ever. Lucky for me, I was able to turn my attention to other things. You see, ever since I saw the trailer for the second season of True Detective, I wanted a pair of gray jeans. Here's why:


Rachel McAdams reminded me that gray jeans are smokin' hotttt. So, when I stumbled upon a pair in my size on a clearance rack at Kohl's, I took it as a sign that I was yet another Rachel destined to look hotttt in a pair of gray jeans. Take a look at that price, people (and at the super cute t-shirt I picked up there, as well):


 Here's hoping the hotness doesn't stem more from the shoulder holster and bulletproof vest. The deals didn't stop there.  I went to a local thrift store and picked up several other items:


That dress makes me really happy, because it is a lovely cut and color--but I'm not entirely sold on those pink rhinestones.  I might change them out for something a little less...ostentatious.  We'll see. 

Finally, I picked up my lovely child from daycare and argued with her about what day it is.  In my child's world, the current day ends when she is picked up from daycare.  At that point, it immediately becomes the next day.  Thus, she will ask, "Is today a daycare day?" and what she actually means is "Do I have to go to daycare tomorrow?" We try to clarify this, but so far without much success.  She maintains that she is a "daypusher" (her term)--that she has the ability to push the day into the next (apparently just by existing? I haven't been able to get her to commit to a real explanation of how that works yet).  

What a lovely day.  I was a fantastic date.

 

No comments: