Sunday, October 15, 2006

To Bike or Not to Bike....

I am out of my apathetic mood. Yay! I am seriously considering purchasing a bike. Michael thinks I won't ride it very much, and since I'm inclined to agree that such a thing is possible, I don't plan to spend all that much on one. I think I would ride a bike more than I would play an electric guitar, so that is something. Plus, one of my neighbors would like to purchase a bike and ride as well, and one of my friends already does own a bike and wants someone to ride with. So....this could work out!

I think riding a bike would be a good source of exercise, even if I didn't ride explicitly for exercise. It also seems like it would be more fun than walking. I need something like that, because I think I've gained five pounds and it depresses me. I don't want to buy new clothes unless they are smaller. I get very depressed going shopping for bigger clothes. As a result of this recent suspicion of weight gain, I feel the need to engage in fun sources of exercise (things where I am not constantly reminded of the fact that I am exercising). My neighbors don't have as much time to play tennis anymore (they both work at jobs that have cut out our time for tennis), and I'm not good enough to play with anyone else. But I can bike all by myself if need be. I don't know.

In another effort to lose those pesky five pounds, and possibly more, I keep reminding myself that I should eat to live, rather than live to eat. I find this is easier to do if I remind myself that there are lots of people who are starving...this makes me feel guilty, and I only eat enough to get full, which is much less than I normally eat (though I don't send money to those countries or anything, so I'm still being rather selfish). As an added impetus to eat not only less, but healthier, I remind myself that three of my grandparents contracted adult-onset diabetes from their poor eating habits.

No comments: