Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Gym Stories

So I promised more stories about the characters from the gym, which I shall now deliver. Mr. Sinew is not very interesting--he comes in when I am finishing my workout, and thus I cannot really say much about him. Mr. Bulky is almost always around at the time I work out. He is somewhat interesting. Mr. Bulky has the face of a...well, a nerd, really. I sense an element of defiance in him: "Maybe I look like a nerd, but with a build like this, does it really matter?" It is not that I think there is something wrong with being a nerd (that's pretty much what I am, right?), but I wonder if that is what drives Mr. Bulky to spend so much time at the gym. I wonder if he was teased a lot in school, or bullied. Then again, maybe he thought working out would improve his chances with the ladies or the men. I'm pretty sure that he is not doing it primarily for the health benefits. He wants his body to look a certain way, and he has taken great care to get it to its current state. I keep meaning to try and see if he shaves his legs, as bodybuilders often do, but I never remember to look. Plus, I try not to look at him too often--everyone at the gym tries to refrain from looking at everyone else, especially the serious gym rats, and we certainly do not speak to each other. It is an unwritten rule of early morning gym etiquette.

No comments: